Contact Us |  

Search form


Parent Grant

The UC Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office offers the Parent Grant to support undergraduate student parents with dependent children under the age of 18. The Parent Grant will automatically be awarded in your financial aid package based on the information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application. Award amounts are based on financial need and availability of funds each year.  Parent Grants are disbursed in equal monthly amounts during the fall and spring terms; summer awards are disbursed all at once.

The Parent Grant is available to undergraduate student parents who meet all of the following criteria:

Have at least one dependent child under the age of 18 as of the first day of the academic year,  living with you at least half time, and is not attending college. 

Must indicate on the FAFSA or California Dream Application that you have or will have children who will receive more than half of their support from you during the award year (July 1, 2017- June 30, 2018). This includes your unborn child(ren) who will be born during the award year and will receive more than half of their support from you. 

Are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Have demonstrated financial need based on the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application.

Be a California resident or AB 540 eligible student admitted to U.C. Berkeley prior to Fall 2017.

Are not living in the on-campus residence halls.

If you meet all of the criteria listed above and are not awarded a Parent Grant, please contact Cal Student Central so that we can review your eligibility.

If you have a Parent Grant in your financial aid package and you do not meet all of the criteria listed above, please contact Cal Student Central, so that we can update your financial aid package accordingly.

Please Note: If you are a graduate student and are interested in the Parent Grant, please visit the Graduate Division’s Student Family Assistance page.


You can file a Cost of Attendance Adjustment Request for the academic year if you have not been awarded the maximum amount in a Parent Grant and/or if you need additional financial aid. Please visit the Student Parent Center for more information.

You can file a Summer Childcare Expense Appeal if you have not been awarded the maximum amount in a Summer Parent Grant; this is the only summer expense that may be appealed. Please refer to the Student Parent section on the Summer Aid Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.

Learn More

Students with Dependent Children

Food Assistance Program