Apply for Aid

Undergraduate Cal Grant Applications

Undergraduate California resident students may be eligible for a Cal Grant. In addition to filing the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application, a Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification Form must also be submitted by your certifying school to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) by March 2, 2023 so that you will be considered for a 2023-24 Cal Grant. For more information about Cal Grants, please review our Cal Grant Frequently Asked Questions page or CSAC’s Cal Grant Frequently Asked Questions page.

The Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office is committed to providing students and parents with the resources they need to make a Berkeley education an affordable reality.

Undergraduate Students

The FAFSA and the California Dream Act Application are available on October 1 each year and have a priority deadline of March 2 for the upcoming academic year. The FAFSA and California Dream Act Application are used to determine aid eligibility for the specific academic year (fall, spring, and summer term) for which the application is completed. The aid application needs to be completed for each academic year that you wish to apply for aid.

The priority deadline for the 2023-24 academic year (fall 2023, spring 2024, summer 2024) is March 2, 2023.  If you file after March 2, some types of financial aid may be limited. Students who completed the 2022-23 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application specifically for spring 2023 or summer 2023 should also file the 2023-24 FAFSA or California Dream Act Application by the March 2, 2023 deadline.

Undergraduate students who are determined to be dependent based on the FAFSA or the California Dream Act Application will be required to provide parents’ information and a parent signature on their application.

Graduate Students

  • Graduate students interested using Federal Loans and/or Federal work-study to help fund their education should complete the 2023-24 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2023-24 year.
  • Graduate students who qualify for the AB540 nonresident tuition exemption may be eligible for the California Dream Loan and work-study. Graduate students who wish to be considered for Graduate Dream Act aid can complete the California Dream Act Application
  • Optometry students who wish to be considered for a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), need to include parental financial information on the FAFSA and have a parent sign the FAFSA. Parental information will be used to determine eligibility for HPSL funding.
  • Graduate students interested in applying for fellowships, teaching and research appointments, and departmental awards, are advised to contact their academic department or the Graduate Division.