The low-interest subsidized Berkeley Loan is offered on a case-by-case basis to Berkeley students with financial need who meet all other financial aid eligibility requirements.
Previous loan recipients, please note: We changed our loan servicer from ACS to Heartland ECSI on August 1, 2017. If you borrowed a Berkeley Institutional Loan or Summer Berkeley Loan before August 1, 2017, you should have received an email from Heartland ECSI informing you of this change and that your account balance has been transferred to Heartland ECSI. This email notification includes a Heartland Key that allows you to log into the Heartland ECSI website to view your account and loan information.
- The Loan Process
The Berkeley Loan will be included as part of your academic year financial aid package if you are eligible. You can view your financial aid package in CalCentral. If you decide to borrow the Berkeley Loan, you need to complete the following online processes.
LOAN PROCESS IMPORTANT DATES
To receive the Institutional Berkeley Loan at UC Berkeley, you need to complete the required processes by the following deadlines:
Attending Fall-only: November 30
Attending Fall/Spring or Spring-Only: April 30
Please note: To receive reimbursement from this loan before the end of the fall term, whether or not you will be attending the spring term, please complete your loan requirements by November 30. Berkeley Loan processing will be on hold between December 10 and January 2. If you accept the loan during this period, you will be able to begin the online process after January 2. Loan requirements completed after November 30 will result in refunds issued in January.
Attending Summer Sessions:
Summer Enrollment Periods: Summer Loan Process Deadline: Session A Only Second to last Friday of June All other Sessions Last Friday in July
You will not be able to begin the process for a Summer Berkeley Loan until you receive the email from Heartland ECSI starting May 20. Check all of your Berkeley email folders, including the spam folder for this email.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
Step 1. Accept your loan on CalCentral. You can only accept or decline this loan once online via CalCentral. If you miss the opportunity or need to accept an additional loan, please open a case on Cal Student Central.
Step 2. 1 to 2 business days after you accept your loan, you will receive an email from Heartland ECSI advising you to complete the required online process (master promissory note, entrance loan counseling, and truth in lending agreement documents).
The email will contain a Heartland PIN required for successful login and authentication. Please wait to receive this email before proceeding to Steps 3 and 4. If you try to complete the following steps before getting the email notice from Heartland ECSI, you may not be able to login, or you might have to complete the entire process again. Check all email folders, including the spam folder for this email.
Step 3. After receiving the email described in Step 2, complete your Master Promissory Note and Entrance Loan Counseling (combined with the Truth In Lending Agreement documents) through Heartland ECSI's electronic promissory notes.
- If you cannot locate the email, but it has been a few days since you accepted your Berkeley Loan via CalCentral, you can contact Heartland ECSI (live chat through the website or phone at 1-888-549-3274). You will be asked to authenticate using the Heartland PIN (see Step 2 above). You will need to provide your full legal name, permanent address, and date of birth (DOB) to obtain your Heartland PIN and continue with the authentication of the online process. Note: Your identifying information must match the information provided on CalCentral.
Step 4. Select the promissory note/entrance loan counseling process to proceed. This process consists of the Master Promissory Note, Entrance Loan Counseling (a small multiple-choice quiz), and Truth In Lending Agreement documents (includes references). Once you have completed the process online, Heartland ECSI will send the electronic data to UC Berkeley after the mandatory rescission period (about 3 business days after the online process is completed) ends. Your loan requirement checklist will be updated after we receive this data.
CALIFORNIA DREAM ACT APPLICANTS
Berkeley uses your 9-digit California Dream Act ID number instead of a Social Security number to identify your records for the Berkeley Loan. The California Dream Act ID number was provided to you on your California Dream Act Application Confirmation Page. This number begins with 3 or 4 zeroes and is 9 digits long. Please reference the tips below to complete your online processes.
Note: If you enter a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Social Security number, the database may not locate your record and prevent you from completing the process.
- When asked to enter your Social Security number (SSN) on your Entrance Interview Login page, enter your California Dream Act ID Number.
- You will be asked to authenticate using a PIN. Please reference your Heartland ECSI email for the Heartland PIN to continue. Check all folders in your Berkeley email account to locate the Heartland ECSI email. If you cannot find the email, but it has been a few days since you have accepted your Berkeley Loan via CalCentral, you can contact Heartland ECSI. You will need to provide your full legal name, permanent address, and date of birth (DOB) to obtain your Heartland PIN and continue with the authentication of the online process. Note: Your identifying information must match the information provided on CalCentral.
Note: You must complete the online process (Master Promissory Note, Entrance Loan Counseling, and Truth In Lending Agreement documents) successfully for UC Berkeley to receive a confirmation from Heartland ECSI that you have completed the process. You will be asked to complete the whole online process again if it is finished without authentication (Heartland PIN required) via the Heartland ECSI website. We do not accept the paper master promissory notes for this loan. If you forgot your California Dream Act ID number, log into the California Dream Act website and obtain your California Dream Act ID number.
- If you cannot complete the online process or require assistance, please contact Heartland ECSI via live chat through the website or at 1-888-549-3274.
If you have any other questions regarding your loan unrelated to the online process (Heartland PIN, login, authentication process, and the online loan process), you can contact Cal Student Central. Be prepared to include your Berkeley student ID and indicate that the case is regarding your Berkeley Institutional Loan.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU DO YOUR PART
- Berkeley will receive an electronic confirmation from Heartland ECSI only after all of the required processes are completed and authenticated (Master Promissory Note, entrance loan counseling, and truth in lending agreement documents). The mandatory 3 business day rescission period is over.
- The Loan Requirement checklist on CalCentral will be updated to "completed" 1–2 business days after UC Berkeley has received the confirmation from Heartland ECSI.
- If you meet all other eligibility criteria, the loan will disburse 1–2 business days later to your student billing account.
WHERE DO YOUR FUNDS GO
- Your loan disburses to your student billing account in CalCentral and pays any outstanding charges for the current academic year.
- If there are no outstanding charges on your student billing account when the loan is disbursed, or if your loan disbursement is larger than your total balance, you will receive a refund.
- If you are eligible to receive a refund, you will receive a notification from Billing and Payment Services.
- Repayment Terms
- Interest accrual and repayment of the Berkeley Loan begins 9 months after you leave school, or anytime you drop below half-time enrollment.
- Interest is fixed at 5%, and the standard repayment period is 10 years.
- UC Berkeley is your lender. You will make your payments to Berkeley's contracted loan servicer, Heartland ECSI.
- Before leaving school or graduating, complete your Exit Loan Counseling with Heartland ECSI.
- Keep your contact information up-to-date with UC Berkeley and Heartland ECSI to receive essential information about your loan.
- Toward the end of your 9-month grace period, you should receive information about beginning repayment. If you have not received anything at the beginning of the 9th month of your grace period, contact Berkeley at email@example.com.
- You can repay your loan without penalty. The faster you pay your loan, the less interest you pay over time.
- Have Questions?