The Summer Sessions Loan may be available to eligible students enrolled in at least 6 units in Summer Session. Students who meet the eligibility requirements below and all other financial aid eligibility requirements may be eligible for this low-interest subsidized loan.
We changed our loan servicer from ACS to Heartland ECSI on August 1, 2017. If you borrowed a Summer Sessions Loan before August 1, 2017, you should have received an email from ECSI by the end of August informing you of this change, and your account balance has been transferred to ECSI. NOTE: This email notification will contain a Heartland Key that will allow you to log into the ECSI website to view your account balance and loan information.
- Eligibility Requirements
- Be a UC Berkeley student.
- Receive the Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) or the Middle Class Access Plan (MCAP) award in the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Meet all other financial aid eligibility requirements.
- The maximum award amount is $4,000.
- You are enrolled in at least 6 units in any single UC Berkeley Summer Session or combination of sessions, Berkeley Summer Abroad program, and Education Abroad Program (EAP).
- NOT available to eligible students enrolled through the Summer Intercampus Program.
- Completing the Loan Requirements
The Summer Sessions Loan will automatically be included as part of your summer financial aid package if you are eligible. If you wish to borrow this loan, you can begin completing the loan requirements by simply accepting the loan online. You can view your summer financial aid package in My Finances on CalCentral.
To receive a Summer Session Loan at UC Berkeley, you need to complete the required processes by the following deadline:
Summer Enrollment Periods: Summer Loan Process Deadline: Session A Only Second to last Friday of June All other Sessions Last Friday in July
You will not be able to begin the process until you receive the ECSI email starting May 20. Check all email folders, including your spam folder.
WHAT YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE
Within 2–3 business days after you accept the loan, Heartland ECSI will send an email instructing you to complete the required online processes (promissory note and entrance counseling).
Please wait until you receive the Heartland ECSI email to begin the process. Check all folders in your Berkeley email inbox. If you try to complete the online process before getting the email notice from ECSI, you might not be able to login, or you might have to complete the entire process again when Heartland ECSI is ready.
First-time Summer Sessions Loan borrowers: The Heartland ECSI email will include a PIN required to log into the electronic promissory note site and begin your online process. The following requirements are to be completed as part of the online loan process:
- Promissory Note
- Entrance Loan Counseling (including a short multiple-choice Quiz)
- Truth in Lending Act document
Once you have completed the process online, Heartland ECSI will send the electronic data to UC Berkeley after the mandatory rescission period ends (about 3 business days after the online process is completed). After UC Berkeley receives this data, your loan requirement checklist will be updated to "complete" in CalCentral.
If you are having trouble with the login or online process, please contact Heartland ECSI (live chat through their website or by phone at 1-888-549-3274). Note: Your identifying information must match the information on CalCentral. Be prepared to provide your full legal name, permanent address, and date of birth.
If you are unable to login to the Electronic Promissory Note site, please review the Heartland ECSI email in your Berkeley email. The email should contain your Heartland ECSI PIN. Your PIN is not shared with UC Berkeley. If you can not locate the PIN, please contact Heartland ECSI for assistance.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER
- Berkeley will receive an electronic confirmation from Heartland ECSI only after the required processes are complete and authenticated (Master Promissory Note, Entrance Loan Counseling, and Truth In Lending Agreement documents) and the mandatory 3 business days rescission period is over.
- The Loan Requirement checklist will be updated to "complete" within 1–2 business days after UC Berkeley has received the confirmation of completion from ECSI.
- If you meet all other eligibility criteria, the loan will disburse to your student billing account within 1–2 business days.
WHERE YOUR FUNDS GO
- Your loan disburses to your student billing account in CalCentral and pays for any outstanding charges for the current academic year.
- If there are no outstanding charges on your student billing account when the loan is paid, or if your loan disbursement is larger than your total balance, you will receive a refund.
- If you are eligible to receive a refund, you will receive notification from Billing and Payment Services.
- Repayment Terms
- Interest accrual and repayment of the Summer Sessions Loan begin 9 months after you leave school or anytime you drop below half-time enrollment.
- Interest is fixed at 5%, and the standard repayment period is 5 years.
- UC Berkeley is your lender. You will make your payments to Berkeley's contracted loan servicer, ECSI.
- Before leaving school or graduating, complete your Exit Loan Counseling with Heartland ECSI.
- Keep your contact information up-to-date with UC Berkeley and ECSI to receive essential information about your repayment.
- Toward the end of your 9-month grace period, you should receive information about beginning repayment. If you have not received anything at the beginning of the 9th month of your grace period, contact Berkeley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can repay your loan without penalty. The faster you pay your loan, the less interest you pay over time.
- Summer Sessions Loan Questions
- Cal Student Central is the destination for student inquiries related to financial aid, fees and billing, disbursements, registration, and enrollment.
- Please notify the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office by opening a case if you would like your Summer Sessions Loan or any federal student loans reduced or canceled.