Eligibility for Financial Aid at UC Berkeley

At UC Berkeley, the majority of students receive some form of financial aid. Eligible graduate students may be awarded federal student loans and work-study in addition to departmental awards and fellowships.

​Do I Qualify?

Here is a list of the minimum requirements you need to meet to be considered for financial aid through the UC Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office:

  • You are a U.S. citizen, an eligible non-citizen, or a student eligible for Berkeley Undergraduate Dream Act Aid.
  • You have a valid Social Security Number (unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau; or unless you are a student eligible for Berkeley Undergraduate Dream Act Aid).
  • You have registered with Selective Service if you are male and between the ages of 18-25.
  • You have a high school diploma, or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate, or completed homeschooling at the secondary level.
  • You are enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate.
  • You are making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward your degree.
  • You don’t have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study); learn about eligibility for students with criminal convictions.
  • You don’t owe a refund on a federal grant or you are not in default on a federal student loan.

What About Eligibility for International Students?

Funding an education as an international student at a university in the United States can be challenging. International students are ineligible for university, state, or federal financial aid funds processed by the Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

We strongly encourage international students to research scholarship opportunities from private organizations both within the U.S. and in your home country. We also encourage international students to research your specific academic departments for awards or scholarships available to international students. Please see our International Students page for more information.

Maintaining Your Eligibility

You maintain financial aid eligibility at UC Berkeley by meeting the following general eligibility criteria:

  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units in the academic term, unless on the degree list for the term. For financial aid purposes, 12 units per semester is considered full-time enrollment. Enrollment for less than 12 units per term may reduce your eligibility for certain types of aid.
  • Do not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • Do not have any registration holds.
  • Not be convicted under any federal or state law for the possession or sale of illegal drugs during a period of enrollment in which you were receiving federal student aid.
  • Specific types of aid, such as scholarships or grants, may have additional requirements. Please review the eligibility requirements under Types of Aid for information about specific awards. Please review the basic eligibility requirements on the Federal Student Aid website for more information.

Note: In compliance with federal regulation, students who fail to pass any courses in a given semester are considered unofficially withdrawn for financial aid purposes. Students will be notified of any aid adjustments that may result.

​Helpful Resources