Work-Study Information for On-Campus Employers

Please refer to the communication archive for important updates and program announcements for the 2020-2021 academic year.

 

The Work-Study Program is a financial aid program that promotes part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students to help finance their education. By participating in the Work-Study Program, your department can hire student workers and obtain a subsidy for a portion of the student’s wages.

The Work-Study Program subsidizes 70% of the students wages and the department pays for the remaining 30% of the wages. In addition, there is a 20% administrative surcharge* that departments pay to the Work-Study Program office; therefore, the net cost to the department is 50%.

 

Breakdown of the Work-Study Subsidy and Department Costs

70% Work-Study Subsidy

30% Department Share

20% Administrative Surcharge*

 

The Department’s Net Cost is 50%

* If the source of the Department’s share is a federal grant, as classified in Cal Planning, the administrative charge is waived, which means the net cost to the Department can be as low as 30%.

 

Benefits to the Student

By participating in the Work-Study Program, you can help students avoid increasing their student loans by earning part of their college costs. In addition to the financial benefits, students gain valuable work experience and develop transferable skills while in school, putting them in a stronger position to pursue graduate school and/or employment opportunities when they graduate. 

 

Benefits to the Employer

Departments can employ UC Berkeley students for half the cost with the Work-Study subsidy! As an on-campus employer, you have access to a talented pool of job applicants that bring with them diverse personal, academic and career interests that can meaningfully contribute to meeting your department’s business needs.

 

Work-Study Eligibility

Undergraduate students must apply via the FAFSA or the CA Dream Act to be considered for Work-Study. Work-Study is awarded to students based on financial need, therefore if a student has financial need, as reflected in their FAFSA or CA Dream Act application, then the student will be considered for Work-Study. The initial Work-Study award for eligible undergraduate students can be as high as $4,000. If a student earns 70% of their Work-Study award, and the earnings are reflected in CalCentral, the student may submit a request to convert additional eligible loans into Work-Study.

Graduate students must apply for financial aid via the FAFSA. If the student has financial need as reflected in the FAFSA, then the student can request a conversion of their loans into Work-Study via their CalCentral account. The initial maximum Work-Study award for graduate students can be up to $10,000. If a student earns 70% of their Work-Study award, and the earnings are reflected in CalCentral, the student may submit a request to convert additional eligible loans into Work-Study.

Work-Study and DACA

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office remains committed to ensuring that our undocumented students have access to the Work-Study Program. DACA students may participate in the Work-Study Program provided they applied and are eligible for financial aid under the CA Dream Act and have a valid work permit. DACA students can request a Work-Study award by contacting the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

 

Employer Portal to the Work-Study Management System (WSMS)