Please note: Credit decisions are good for 180 days. If credit approval has expired, increases in PLUS Loans or new PLUS Loan applications will automatically generate a new credit check.
1. Log in at studentloans.gov using your own FSA ID. The Federal PIN is no longer used. Students, parents, and borrowers are now required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity wnen accessing your financial and and loan information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. If you have not yet set up your FSA ID and/or need to replace an existing Federal PIN, please visit the FSA ID website before visiting studentloans.gov.
2. Click on the link that reads “Request a Direct PLUS Loan.”
3. Read the small print and then click on the “Parent PLUS” link at the bottom of the page.
4. Be sure to choose the correct period for the loans when you complete the PLUS application. If you want a fall or spring PLUS loan, then choose the loan period from August to May. If it is a PLUS loan for the summer term, then choose the loan period from May to August.
5. In the Student Information section:
Choose your principal repayment deferment option. It will cost you less overall if you choose not to defer principal repayments.
Choose the Other Charges option: If you authorize, PLUS funds will be used to pay any existing charges on your student’s Cal Central account.
Choose a Credit Balance option. Most parents choose “The Student” because this is the most efficient way to get funds to where they are needed. If you choose “Me,” any refund will be issued via paper check and mailed to you (the parent) at the address on your PLUS application.
6. In the School and Loan Information section:
Enter a specific amount in the Loan Amount Requested section to minimize your borrowing.
If you choose to borrow the maximum, additional PLUS loans will be processed anytime your maximum eligibility increases. This happens automatically, and will result in higher debt.
If you choose “I don’t know,” we will not process your application.
For Loan Period, be sure to choose the correct period for the loans when you complete the PLUS application. If you want a fall or spring PLUS loan, then choose the loan period from August to May. If it is a PLUS loan for the summer term, then choose the loan period from May to August.
7. Continue through the application. You will see your approval status immediately. If you are approved, click on the “Complete an MPN” link and follow the directions. Take some time to read all the small print as it contains important information about interest, fees, your repayment obligation, and your borrower rights.
8. If you are not approved, you will be presented with some options. You can:
Appeal the decision. Decisions may be appealed by calling Applicant Services at (800) 557-7394.
Secure an endorser. If you have decided to pursue an endorser, the endorser will complete the “Endorse Direct PLUS Loan” section at studentloans.gov. The endorser will need their own federal PIN to sign the endorser addendum.
Not pursue a Direct Loan at this time. We will zero out your PLUS Loan and offer your student additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan if you choose this option.
Undecided. No action will be taken by the school.
If you change your mind about how to proceed after you have submitted your response, please let us know by opening a case through https://saservices.berkeley.edu/CSC/others-case.html. The case you submit should include your name and contact information, as well as your student’s name and the student ID number.
9. Once you electronically sign your MPN, it will be transmitted to UC Berkeley electronically and linked with your application.
10. The whole process will take a minimum of three business days, resulting in loan payments to Cal Central within five business days if all other basic eligibility requirements are met.
Relax. We know how to take worried newcomers and turn them into seasoned veterans of the financial aid process. Providing step-by-step guidance for every student dreaming of a Berkeley education — that's what we're here for.
Want to compare college costs, calculate your expenses, or create a budget? Looking for tips on the financial aid application process? How about a centralized listing of important external resources? You've come to the right place.
Financing your Berkeley education may be a challenge . . . but we can help you make the grade. — Learn More
Fund a Future
Support Berkeley Scholarships and change lives and open the doors of opportunity to students with limitless potential. Your gift helps deserving students to step into the world with the tools they need to shape the future.