We can help you adjust: your financial circumstances may change, and those changes may affect your ability to contribute to your education. We are here to help.
ATTENTION: NEWLY ADMITTED STUDENTS, you will be able to access the website that allows you to submit an appeal after you accept your offer of admission and create a CalNet ID. If you need immediate assistance, contact Cal Student Central.
Appeals for the 2020–21 school year will be available through the Berkeley Financial Aid Form portal website on May 1, 2020.
If your current income is substantially less than what you reported on the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application, or your income is substantially reduced by expenses due to certain extenuating circumstances, you can consider requesting a Student Contribution Appeal. We will review your appeal and make adjustments, as appropriate, based on your current financial situation.
What we will generally consider:
- Loss or reduction of income, including but not limited to loss of employment, reduction of pay, death of a spouse, and reduction/loss of child support
- Divorce or separation
- One time only income distributions
- High out of pocket medical and/or dental expenses, K-12 private school tuition, or tax liens
- Costs associated with a natural disaster
What we do not consider:
- Changes to assets or inability to liquidate assets
- Loss of overtime or bonus
- Bankruptcy, foreclosures or collection costs associated with outstanding debt
- Consumer debt (credit cards, car payments, loans, etc.)
- Lottery or gambling winnings or losses
- One-time income used for non-life essential items (e.g.. family vacation)
You can use the Cal-Culator to estimate how a change in your family’s income will impact your aid eligibility by following the Financial Aid Net Price Calculator instructions.
How to Request an Income Appeal
- Go to the Berkeley Financial Aid Form portal website.
- Note: if you have not registered with the Berkeley Financial Aid Forms website, you will need to do that first. This is a one time process that matches up your personal information with the aid application we have on file for you.
- Access the financial aid form instructions to get started.
- After you have logged into the Berkeley Financial Aid Forms website, click on the + Request button at the top of the page.
- Choose the Family Contribution Appeal – to add the form to your file, click on the + button.
- Provide a brief explanation as to why you are requesting the appeal. You will have an opportunity to go into more detail later.
- Once you have completed the web-form, you will be asked to upload documentation that supports the appeal.
- When everything is in order, click the Submit button to submit your appeal.