Contact Us |  

Search form


Disabled Students Program

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office works very closely with the Disabled Students' Program (DSP) to ensure that students with disabilities receive the support and services they need to achieve their academic goals.

Here are some of the ways the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office partners with DSP:

Reduced Courseload

Typically, UC Berkeley expects undergraduate students to attend full-time. However, an exception can be made to allow students with documented disabilities through the campus DSP office to enroll less than full-time (full-time for financial aid purposes is 12 units). If the DSP office has determined that you have special circumstances that allow a reduced courseload, ask the DSP office specialist to send their certification form to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. If you are receiving a Cal Grant or Pell Grant, a reduced courseload may affect these awards. If you have any questions about the amount of aid you have received, open a case with Cal Student Central.  Also, at certain times of the year, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office partners with the DSP Office to provide appointments with a financial aid counselor at DSP. Contact DSP for more information.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

If you have been approved for a reduced courseload, you may be eligible for an extended time of study based on your units of enrollment. Also review the complete Berkeley Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. To activate this extended evaluation, be sure to take the recommended units in your approved courseload. If you take more units than your reduced courseload allows, your measure of academic progress will not be extended. If you are not sure whether you qualify for the extended measure of academic progress, visit the DSP office to sign up to see a financial aid counselor or open a case with Cal Student Central.

DSP/TRIO Student Support Services

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office partners with the DSP office and provides DSP/TRIO Student Support Services and grant funding to assist students with their academic success. Visit the Disabled Student's Program website and click on the "Programs" tab for more information.

Additional Resources

Lois I. Hogan Fund

The Lois I. Hogan Fund makes money available to students with disabilities who have been offered a job opportunity and are in need of financial assistance in order to realistically pursue the work experience. The fund was established in the memory of Lois Hogan. Ms. Hogan was a parent, the mother of UC Berkeley student Brian Hogan. Work experience for students with disabilities is essential to prepare students for the realities of the work world. The UC Berkeley Public Service Center, with the Career Center and Disabled Students' Program (DSP), provides information about internships, summer jobs, and other work experience. Disability-related needs include transportation, housing attendant care, and interpreter and reader availability. For more information and timelines, contact the Public Service Center Director.

For more information about financial resources for Disabled Students, please see the Financial Assistance page on the DSP website.