Fiat Lux Scholarship makes a profound impact on our campus community through supporting incoming classes of freshmen who embody resilience and carry unique life experiences. We believe our students are the beacon. "Let there be light."
Fiat Lux: Prosperity Through Partnership
UC Berkeley's faculty established the Fiat Lux Scholarship in 2016 with the goal of attracting to Berkeley high-achieving students from local high schools in the Bay Area, Central Coast area (Salinas), San Jose, Sequoia, Sacramento, and Los Angeles.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions trains scholars to do outreach in local partnering high schools with the support of Berkeley's Center for Educational Partnerships. This proven and highly successful program promotes "giving back” through the scholars. They become aspirational role models for the high school students and provide help during college information sessions at various events and partnering high schools.
Partner High Schools
Alameda County Office of Education
- Alameda High School
- Encinal High School
- Albany High School
Berkeley Unified School District
- Berkeley High School
East Side Union High School District
- Accel Middle College
- Andrew Hill High Shcool
- Evergreen Valley High School
- Independence High School
- James Lick High School
- Mt. Pleasant High School
- Oak Grove High School
- Piedmont Hill High School
- Santa Teresa High School
- Silver Creek High School
- W.C. Overfelt High School
- Yerba Buena High School
Emery Unified School District
- Emery High School
Klamath-Trinity Joint Unified School District
- Hoopa Valley High School
Los Angeles Unified School District
- Belmont High School
- Benjamin Franklin High School
- Canoga Park High School
- Carson High School
- Cleveland High School
- James A. Garfield High School
- James Monroe High School
- Phineas Banning High School
- San Fernando High School
- Theodore Roosevelt High School
- Woodrow Wilson High School
Oakland Unified School District
- Arise High School
- Aspire Lionel Wilson College Prep
- BayTech Bay Area Technology School
- Castlemont High School
- Envision Academy Arts & Technology
- Fremont High School
- Life Academy High School
- Lighthouse Community Charter
- McClymonds High School
- Oakland Charter High School
- Oakland High School
- Oakland Military Institution College Preparatory
- Oakland School for the Arts
- Oakland Technical High School
- Oakland Unity High School
- Skyline High School
Sacramento City Unified School District
- C.K. McClatchy High School
- Sacramento Charter High School
Salinas Union High School District
- Alisal High School
- Everett Alvarez High School
- North Salinas High School
- Salinas High School
San Francisco Unified School District
- Abraham Lincoln High School
- Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Balboa High School
- City Arts and Technology High School*
- Galileo Academy of Science and Technology
- Gateway High School*
- George Washington High School
- John O'Connell High School
- Lowell High School
- Leadership High School
- Mission High School
- Phillip and Sala Burton High School
- SF International Studies Academy
- Raoul Wallenberg Traditional
- Ruth Asawa School of the Arts
- Thurgood Marshall Academy
Sequoia School District
- Carlmont High School
- East Palo Alto Academy
- East Palo Alto Phoenix Academy
- Menlo-Atherton High School
- Sequoia High School
- Woodside High School
Siskiyou Union High School District
- Happy Camp High School
West Contra Costa Unified School District
- Aspire Richmond Cal Cpl Col and Prep Acad
- De Anza High School
- El Cerrito High School
- John F. Kennedy High School
- Leadership Public School Richmond
- Middle College High School
- Pinole Valley High School
- Richmond High School
Yreka Union High School District
- Yreka High School
* Charter high schools that currently operate independently within school district boundaries.
Fiat Lux Scholarship Benefits
Faculty Mentor: Scholars are assigned a Faculty Mentor from the Academic Senate Committee on Undergraduate Scholarships, Honors, and Financial Aid (CUSHFA) and the faculty at large. The Faculty Mentor guides scholars in their long-term academic and professional endeavors. Each fall, the Chancellor hosts a reception to welcome entering Fiat Lux scholars. This reception is the first opportunity for scholars to meet their Faculty Mentors and to network with other incoming and continuing scholars.
Monetary Award and Scholarship Tenure: The Fiat Lux Scholarship includes a monetary award that is determined each year. Students with financial need are awarded a need-based scholarship based on an assessment of their financial need, up to the full cost of attendance. The scholarship is renewable annually, up to a maximum of 8 semesters for incoming freshmen and a maximum of 4 semesters for incoming transfers.
Scholars Association: All scholars are invited to join the Fiat Lux Scholars Association (FLSA). FLSA sponsors social events, coordinates community service projects and outreach events to the Fiat Lux partner schools.
Financial Aid Advising: The Undergraduate Scholarships, Prizes, and Honors Office acts as intermediary for Fiat Lux scholars with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office for financial aid issues. The Scholarship Coordinator responds to questions regarding the scholarship and financial aid, as well as general information about Cal (e.g., advising, resources, and planning for the future).
Attend one of the partner high schools for at least three years
U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen (California Dream Act Application or hold a permanent resident card)
California resident or eligible nonresidents (AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption)
Faculty select candidates from high-achieving prospective freshmen with financial need who have been admitted to Berkeley from one of the program's partner high schools. Candidates are identified on the basis of information supplied in their application for admission and their FAFSA.
Candidates are invited for a one on one interview with a Berkeley faculty member in late March. Interviews are scheduled in early April.
Berkeley faculty approve and select recipients before the May 1 deadline for the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) at the university.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to submit an application to be considered for the Fiat Lux Scholarship?
There is no separate or additional application for the Fiat Lux Scholarship. All students who apply to UC Berkeley are automatically considered for the scholarship if they are from one of the Fiat Lux partner schools. If you are not selected as a candidate, there are many other University scholarships you will still be considered for. Remember to apply for financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and if you are eligible for any University scholarships, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will notify you in April. Students without financial need are ineligible.
2. I am a Fiat Lux Scholarship candidate. When and how will I be notified about receiving the award? How do I accept the award?
Notifications are sent to students around the third week of April. You will also see your scholarship award online under My Finances at CalCentral. To accept your Fiat Lux Scholarship, sign and upload your Scholarship Contract on CalCentral. You should have read the Fiat Lux Scholarship Contract Terms and Conditions which were made available for your review as a link on your award notification letter.
3. Will there be an adjustment to my Fiat Lux Scholarship if I receive any outside scholarships?
Yes. Outside agency awards are applied toward your gross financial need and may require the campus to reduce the amount of the Fiat Lux Scholarship.
4. Will I lose my Fiat Lux Scholarship if I need to take time away from school?
Fiat Lux scholars are eligible to take two semesters of leave from the scholarship. Scholars must attend one semester at UC Berkeley before requesting a leave of absence. Scholars cannot request a leave of absence for any semester in which they have already received the scholarship. You will need to complete a Leave of Absence form and return it to your assigned scholarship coordinator.
Looking to help move the Fiat Lux mission forward? You can do so by contributing to the Fiat Lux Scholarship Program. With each donation, you help the next generation of Berkeley students shine brighter and enrich our ever growing campus community. Donate today.