⚠   Notice – The latest updates on the evolving COVID-19 policies and resources for the campus community
COVID 19 - Related Financial Aid Updates

Contact Us |  

Search form


Chafee Grant


Supporting Our Foster Youth

The Chafee Foster Youth Grant is offered to current or former foster youth who have a financial need. Up to $5,000 is available to qualified students each year.


How to Apply

The online Chafee Foster Youth Grant Application is available through the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) website. You can also find a paper application there and more information related to the program, including up-to-date contact information.

You are required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  or California Dream Act Application (CADA) and your school submits the Chafee Needs Analysis Report (NAR) to be evaluated for a Chafee Grant.

Note: Forms are year-specific. Be sure to complete the applications that correspond with the academic year you will be attending school. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Who determines Chafee Grant eligibility?
The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) determines eligibility.
Do I have to reapply for the Chafee grant every year?
No, you do not need to reapply for the Chafee grant annually. You only need to complete either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application
Who do I contact at UC Berkeley for my Chafee?
Contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships office by starting at Cal Student Central.
Will Chafee reduce any of my grants awarded by the Financial Aid Office?
No, it is treated as an outside award and will reduce subsidized Loans and/or Work Study.
Who certifies the Chafee Grant at UCB? 
The Cal Grant Program Administrator in the Financial Aid & Scholarships office will certify your award. 
What is the certification process?
Not until you show as “Awarded” in the CSAC for Administrators system will you be certified by UCB:

Once you show as “Awarded” the following information is completed and your check is requested:

After the Chafee certification is completed your awards will be updated to account for the Chafee grant. Work-Study and/or subsidized loans will be revised in order to post a Chafee (SR) placeholder of $5,000. 
​What if I do not have room in my awards for the full $5,000? 
If you do not have room for the full $5,000, you may be able to increase your budget—and your  Chafee financial aid eligibility—if you incur expenses during the academic year that are higher than your current financial aid budget.
This is called a Cost of Attendance (COA) Adjustment (COAAR).
The COAAR may help in increasing your budget to make room for the full Chafee award.
What happens after Certification? 
After this certification is completed and the check is requested, the check may take 10-15 business days to be received by the Student Affairs Business Operations office. 
Once the Student Affairs Business Operations Office receives the check, they will email you to go and endorse your check. 
You must endorse your check in order to receive the funds. 
After the check is endorsed funds will post to your student account within 1-2 business days. 
Once the funds have posted to your student account, the place holder will be revised to reflect the funds have been received. 
Spring Checks are requested after the Financial Aid Offices confirms you are planning to enroll/return for the Spring term and have no outstanding requirements or holds on your account.

Available Support Services

Dear Student,
To help you succeed during your Undergraduate career here at UC Berkeley, we highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the various support services available to you. 
Berkeley Hope Scholars (Current and Former Foster Youth, Probation Youth, Youth Orphaned before 18)
EOP, Educational Opportunity Program  (First Generation, Underrepresented, Low Income)
Basic Needs Center (Food Pantry, Economic and Emergency Housing Support)
Disabled Students' Program (Including visable and invisible disabilities, trauma, psychological, and medical conditions)
University Health Services - Tang Center (Medical, Mental Health, Optometry)
Student Learning Center (Tutoring Services)
Financial Aid
Bears for Financial Success (Financial Wellness Center)
Campus Housing
NavCal - Navigating Cal (Supports Underrepresented Students with gaining campus social and cultural capital)
Student Parent Center
Transfer Student Center
Cal Veteran Services Center (Military affiliated students including dependents, partners, and spouses)
McNair Scholars (Research Program)
Undocumented Students Program
Re-Entry Student Program (Undergraduates 25 and older)
Berkeley Underground Scholars (Formerly Incarcerated - System Impacted Students Program)
Student Legal Services
Summer Bridge Program (6 Week Transition Program from High School to the University)
Gender Equity Resource Center (LGBTQ Resources- Women's & Men's Resources)
Also, for further information on how to create an educational plan we recommend you schedule an appointment with the Educational Opportunity Counselor:  https://eop.berkeley.edu/academic-counseling
Go Bears!