Contact Us |  

Search form


Apply for Aid

The Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships Office is committed to providing students and parents with the resources they need to make a Berkeley education an affordable reality. Our staff is here to guide you and your family through the financial aid process from start to finish. Please complete the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and allow the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and institutional support that can make your educational dreams a reality.

Undergraduate Students

Complete a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application.

U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens who wish to be considered for financial aid are required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). UC Berkeley's federal school code is 001312.

Undergraduate students who qualify for an AB 540 waiver may be eligible for Berkeley Undergraduate Dream Act Aid. Students who wish to be considered for Berkeley Undergraduate Dream Act aid can complete the California Student Aid Commission California Dream Act Application.  

The FAFSA and the California Dream Act Application are now available on October 1 each year. The FAFSA and California Dream Act Application are used to determine aid eligibility for the specific academic year (fall, spring, and summer term)  for which the application is completed and needs to be completed for each academic year that you wish to apply for aid.  

The priority deadline for the 2018-19 academic year (fall 2018, spring 2019, summer 2019)  is March 2, 2018. If you file after March 2, some types of financial aid may be limited. Students who completed the 2017-18 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application specifically for spring or summer 2018 should also file the 2018-19 FAFSA or California Dream Act Application by the March 2, 2018 deadline.

Undergraduate students who are determined to be dependent based on the FAFSA Application or the California Dream Act Application will be required to provide parents’ information and a parent signature on their application.

Graduate Students

Graduate and professional students who wish to be considered for federal student loans and work-study should complete the FAFSA application.

Optometry students who wish to be considered for a Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL), need to include parental financial information on the FAFSA and have a parent sign the FAFSA. Parental information will be used to determine eligibility for HPSL funding.

Graduate students interested in applying for fellowships, teaching and research appointments, and departmental awards, are advised to contact their academic department or the Graduate Division