Contact Us |  

Search form


Tax Tips

Educational Expenses Tax Credit

If you are a United States resident for tax purposes, you may be eligible to claim a tax credit on your federal income tax return if you paid qualified educational expenses to the University of California. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 provides educational tax incentives for eligible taxpayers. These benefits, called the American Opportunity (Hope) Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit, allow taxpayers to reduce their federal income tax based upon qualified tuition and fees paid, assuming the taxpayer meets all eligibility requirements.

For more information on these two tax credits, including eligibility for the credits (income ceilings, citizenship, attendance, and types of fees allowed), as well as information on the 1098-T form that reports qualified charges you paid and financial assistance you received for each tax year, please see the summary on the UC Berkeley Billing and Payment Services website.