⚠   Notice – The latest updates on the evolving COVID-19 policies and resources for the campus community
COVID 19 - Related Financial Aid Updates

Contact Us |  

Search form


Prizes and Honors / Kraft Award for Freshmen

Description. This is a University of California systemwide endowment. The award, approximately $150, differs from year to year and is determined by the fund amount and the number of awardees. If you are receiving financial aid, the award is coordinated with your financial aid package.*

*Federal financial aid regulations require that all awards received by a student cannot exceed their financial aid need as determined by a congressional formula. It is possible, therefore, that the cash award for a prize could reduce some "Need Based" component of a student’s package of financial aid awards. In these cases, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office attempts first to reduce loan or work aid; fellowships, grants, or scholarships are reduced only as a last resort.


Be a first-semester freshman entering in the fall. (Please note that freshman participating in the Fall Program for Freshmen or the Berkeley Global Edge Program are not eligible.)

Attain a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) at the end of your first (fall) semester at UC Berkeley.

In your first semester(fall) on campus, complete 13 graded units in curricula leading to the B.A. or B.S. degree, except if you are a freshman enrolled in the College of Engineering or College of Environmental Design, in which case you need to complete 12 graded units. Pass/No Pass units are not counted toward the total.

Selection Process 

No application is required for the Kraft Award. The Prizes Office receives a printout of GPAs shortly after the completion of the fall semester, determines and notifies the recipients, and processes the payments to the students' accounts in late February to early March. Questions about eligibility may be directed to the Prizes Office at prizes@berkeley.edu.

Tax Information

Tax Information for International Students and/or Students Without Social Security Numbers

A student without a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) must obtain one before payment can be issued. International students also must complete online GLACIER information to determine the tax liability of their awards. 

Previous Recipients