The FEDERAL PERKINS LOAN PROGRAM ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2017: The Federal Perkins Loan program officially ended on September 30, 2017, and Perkins loans will not be offered after that date unless legislative action extends the program.
What Happens After I Leave School or Graduate If I Borrowed a Perkins Loan?
- Before leaving school or graduating, be sure to complete your Perkins Exit Interview.
- Keep your contact information up-to-date with Berkeley so that you receive important information about your repayment.
- Toward the end of your 9-month grace period, you should receive information about beginning repayment. If you have not received anything at the beginning of the 9th month of your grace period, contact Berkeley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nine months after you leave school, you begin repayment. Perkins loans from UC Berkeley are managed by a loan servicer, Heartland-ECSI.
- You can prepay your loan without penalty. This means that the faster you pay your loan, the less interest you pay over time.