Contact Us |  

Search form


Current Regents' and Chancellor's Scholars Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ: Current Regents' and Chancellor's Scholars

1. Will there be an adjustment to my Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship if I receive any outside scholarships?

If you are receiving an honorary award of $2,500, there will be no adjustment to the award. If you are receiving a need-based award, outside agency awards are applied toward your gross financial need and may require the campus to reduce the amount of the Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship.

2.  When do I begin receiving the priority enrollment benefit?

Regents' and Chancellor's Scholars will receive priority enrollment for Phase II of Tele-BEARS for their first term, and for both phases of Tele-BEARS during subsequent terms. We encourage all new students to attend the earliest possible CalSO program for Phase I of Tele-BEARS enrollment.

3.  Does the housing guarantee benefit mean I get to select my accommodation?

You can rank your housing choices on the housing application according to your preference. The Housing Office will try its best to accommodate your preference, depending on availability of space.

4.  Will I lose my Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship if I need to take time away from school?

Regents' and Chancellor's Scholars are eligible to take two semesters of leave from the scholarship. Scholars must attend one semester at UC Berkeley before requesting a leave of absence. Scholars cannot request a leave of absence for any semester in which they have already received the scholarship. You will need to complete a Leave of Absence form and return it to your assigned scholarship coordinator.

5. How do you determine my monetary award if I demonstrate financial need?

A need-based Regents’ and Chancellor's Scholarship award may not exceed the scholar's financial need, which is based on a federal formula:

Undergraduate Student Budget - Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need 

The Undergraduate Student Budget is the amount Berkeley has assessed it will cost to live and study for one academic year at Berkeley. The budget includes university fees, housing, books, and incidentals. The expected family contribution is based on a federal formula and is derived from the information the student and parents provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Both domestic and international students who wish to be considered for an award greater than the $10,000 over four years honorarium must apply for financial aid. A United States Social Security number is required.